Author Topic: Old DD Pictures  (Read 119 times)

Offline Old Man Taylor

Old DD Pictures
« on: December 09, 2018, 02:53:50 PM »
I'm a new member here.  I joined because of a trophy I got from my 98 year old mother.  I think you will recognize the engraving.  My Dad was Willard (Bill) Taylor.  He is identified in one of the "Pictures of the Old Days".  I have quite a few more pictures that I didn't realize were Dirt Digger events until I saw the club's name on the trophy.  I will continue to post them as my time allows.  I've been around bikes my whole life, but I was never competitive with them myself.  I race cars.  I am 78, and my Dad would have been 99.  He died in 1983.

The picture with the large group of bikers is from this web site.  My Dad is close to the far left in the plaid shirt.

Offline Old Man Taylor

Re: Old DD Pictures
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2018, 07:57:01 PM »
I will be posting more pictures as I can scan them.  Naturally most of them will have my Dad in them.  We didn't own a camera until the 50's, so all pictures were given to us by others. 

The picture with the three men and the fender of a car was taken in Ocean Park in February, 1944.  Look over the fender of the car and you will see me.  My Dad is on the right.  I believe he was an original member of the Dirt Diggers, but that was after this picture.

My Dad leaning on his Triumph.

Four bikes, my Mom and Dad on the left. 

"Bikers"  My Dad is second from the left.  I don't know the other guys, but I've seen several of them in DDMC pictures.

Offline Old Man Taylor

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2018, 08:14:12 PM »
An unknown event.  Second from the left is all of our family.  My sister was born in 1944, so this would have been about 1947.

My Dad in the middle, I'm in the lower left, and our '46 Ford in the left background.  I'm guessing he won a different event as he looks to be flashing cash, and the mustache says it is a different event.

My Dad on the left.  Note the familiar faces.

I like the last one.  Needless to say it is my Dad on his '47 Triumph.

Questions:
           1.  Are these pictures appropriate on this board
           2.  If so, am I posting them in the right place?

Thanks, Jim

Offline unstable racer2

• DDMC Member
  • YaBB God
  • Desert R67
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2018, 10:01:54 PM »
 Thanks for sharing!
Go Fast. Take Chances.

Offline Old Man Taylor

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2018, 03:25:22 PM »
1.  My Dad getting ready to go up the hill.  I'm not sure where this was.

2.  Dad at the top of the hill.  Notice he almost always has a cigarette in his mouth.

3.  I'm not sure who this guy is, but he shows up in a lot of the pictures.

4.  This is one of the only pictures that has a name on the back - Mac Pace.  It looks like he is riding Dad's bike.

Offline Maricopa Bruiser

• DDMC Member
  • YaBB God
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2018, 08:34:23 AM »
Good stuff thanks for sharing.
2019#
Dez 055

Offline Puckerbush

• Administrator
  • Go Dirt Diggers!
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2018, 07:25:13 PM »
Those are amazing pics, thanks for sharing. What a glimpse into the very beginnings of our club. What a terrific thing to see that having fun with your friends and family around a sport like motorcycling hasn't changed in 70 years. You can just see the smiles, laughter, and excitement this sport and club has been providing for generations lucky enough to be involved. Thanks agin for sharing and looking forward to 70 more years!
We're not Human beings looking for a spiritul experience, We're Spiritual beings having a Human experience